Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Do you play Android games?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
goob256 Aug 11, 2021
I make games for Linux and Android. I got an NVIDIA SHIELD and I enjoy it quite a bit. Since Android is Linux based, do any of you play games on Android?
Guppy Aug 11, 2021
Quoting: goob256I make games for Linux and Android. I got an NVIDIA SHIELD and I enjoy it quite a bit. Since Android is Linux based, do any of you play games on Android?

Minecraft bedrock with the kids
https://mcpelauncher.readthedocs.io/en/latest/getting_started.html

it's a bit rough round the edges when it comes to the store and playing on realms, but it works and better than using a dock with the phone ( since microsoft has utterly borked mouse input in the arm version and refuses to fix it )
peta77 Aug 11, 2021
Only tiny stuff like card games, mahjong, sudoku. Smartphones and tablets (only devices I have with Android on them) for me lack proper controls. Don't intend to get a Shield. I pre-ordered a SteamDeck. So if that thing will also be able to run Android stuff I think I will take a look if there's something interesting there for me. If the integration of the Android stuff is good.

Last edited by peta77 on 11 August 2021 at 7:47 pm UTC
eldaking Aug 12, 2021
Not a lot, in large part because my phone is crappy and as it gets older it is an even bigger pain to play even light games. And now that I'm mostly stuck at home, I'd rather play something on the laptop instead...

But I did play a bunch of games over the years. Some were just very good, like Polytopia or Plague Inc. Some I used to pass the time, like 2048. I played a bit of Pokemon Go when it came out, tried my hand at some of those base defense and match-3 games, but didn't stick - a bit too grindy and I don't tend to stick to one game for too long (I do enjoy match-3 games in general, but more on the PC). Once I got a gameboy emulator, it worked great. I have a bunch of cool games I installed or wishlisted, but never played them... for example, there are quite a few very good boardgames, with good digital adaptations, that would be fun to play solo and don't even have annoying freemium features or anything. Or some good tower defense games, like Kingdom Rush. But again, I'd rather play those on the PC.

In general I find playing on the phone a bit uncomfortable, and I would rather just read something instead. I could probably make it better by getting a controller, or when I manage to replace it getting a better model, with bigger screen and better specs... but at that point, I'd rather just play on my laptop (which is also old and crappy, but still more powerful than the phone xD).

Being Linux-based isn't really a consideration, though. The userspace is completely different, software is not compatible, and as a platform it is not nearly as open. I use Android because it is the only option - Linux on phones is not viable (mostly lack of important apps) and iOS is too expensive to even consider.
damarrin Aug 12, 2021
IDK about Android, but the biggest problem with gaming on iOS is games stop working after some system updates because you need to update your app to keep up with the times and very often it doesn't happen. And I'm not talking about 10 years later, I'm talking about 1 year later.

I've also had games (Phoenix Wright) where the developer wouldn't update the existing app and would make a new one instead, where you'd have to pay all over again.

Fsck that.
Mezron Aug 12, 2021
I play games on android via PPSSPP, Stadia and Redream emulator.
furaxhornyx Aug 12, 2021
I used to play a few android games on my old tablet, but now games are no longer compatible with it.

My all-time favorite will still be Plague, Inc
goob256 Aug 12, 2021
Quoting: damarrinIDK about Android, but the biggest problem with gaming on iOS is games stop working after some system updates because you need to update your app to keep up with the times and very often it doesn't happen. And I'm not talking about 10 years later, I'm talking about 1 year later

That's one of the main reasons I don't make iOS games anymore.
PublicNuisance Aug 14, 2021
I do not. I am looking to ditch Android as a mobile platform as soon as my Pinephone matures a bit so I hopefully won't be on Android much longer anyway. I also dislike the idea of playing on such a small screen with underpowered hardware. I have a gaming grade desktop with a 24" 144Hz monitor that makes me spoiled in comparison to what mobile and tablet gaming can offer me.
denyasis Aug 14, 2021
I'm generally a "no". I still have the bias that mobile games aren't "real games". Lack depth, mini transactions, poor interfaces, etc.

I know that's not true. But I still have those initial thoughts when I see and look at mobile games. Not your problem as a developer, more my problem as a player. I'm the one missing out, after all.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.