You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
It seems Pop_OS isn't an 'OS' anymore.
wvstolzing Aug 22, 2021
It sounds like they're going full GNOME-extension:
https://twitter.com/jeremy_soller/status/1429424300990164993
Liam Dawe Aug 23, 2021
Pop!_OS Arch when
Arehandoro Aug 31, 2021
I had their shell on fedora 32/33 and loved the setup. When all the components are back for fedora 34 will probably use them again.
ridge Sep 3, 2021
That's a little sad actually. Not a fan of GNOME, but I was very impressed with their distro, and it helped a lot of people I know get into using a Linux distro as their daily driver, whether that is Pop or a different distro today. Curious to see what's next.
wvstolzing Sep 3, 2021
I initially said (only half jokingly) that they might be setting up pop_os as nothing more than a GNOME extension; though they're probably looking at something a little more ambitious like a full-on DE like elementary, maybe even a fork of GNOME.

There's an interesting discussion (more like 'controversy') going on at Jeremy Stoller's (the sys76 engineer linked above) twitter the past couple of days. See this thread, for example: https://twitter.com/jeremy_soller/status/1433487714926698498

It sounds like pop os devs are clashing with GNOME devs over custom stylesheets, with accusations flying both ways. As a silly amateur myself, I don't pretend to understand everything that's at stake, but each side seems to have a valid point. GNOME devs say: If you want features, contribute to the relevant repos at our gitlab; sys76 devs claim, on the other hand, that with an API with arbitrary handicaps, GNOME doesn't make it easy for outsiders to 'contribute'.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.