Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Pyrogon - the company founded by the former id software employee is closed.
gbudny Sep 7, 2021
I noticed that Pyrogon's website doesn't work since 2017. I expected it because they weren't active since 2003. Pyrogon was founded by Brian Hook, and he worked earlier for id software and other companies. I have to point out that only two games of this company were available for Linux.

In 2002 Pyrogon released the digital version of Candy Cruncher, which was ported to Linux by Ryan C. Gordon. He doesn't need the introduction because he is so well-known among Linux users. Ryan wrote an article about this game:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170305052210/http://pyrogon.com/about/diary/2_26_2002.php

In the same year, Pyrogon released the digital version of NingPo MahJong for Linux. David Hedbor was the founder of Eon Games, and he ported this game to Linux. They were creating games for computers and handheld devices. David was one of the programmers responsible for the Linux port of Majesty: Gold Edition, and he also ported Hyperspace Delivery Boy! to Linux. Interestingly, Hyperspace Delivery Boy! was created by John Romero, Tom Hall, and Stevie Case. Unfortunately, Eon Games was closed in 2010, and nobody noticed it.

Some people reading it starts to wonder, why do I spend my spare time writing about two indie games? Below are some interesting facts about these two games. Some users remember that 2002 was a terrible year for people who wanted to play games on Linux. Loki and Tribsoft were closed, and Hyperion wasn't happy about the low sales of their games. In this case, they decided to focus on Amiga customers. We still had other companies that wanted to publish games for Linux. Pyrogon was one of them, and they decided to re-release these two games for Linux.

On February 6th, 2003, LGP published the box version of Candy Cruncher, which was exclusively available only for Linux. It was a second game for Linux PowerPC, which was available on the CD, so you didn't need to download a different installer to run it. Additionally, it was the only game published for Linux where you can see Sparc at system requirements printed on the box. Few more years later, they removed support for Sparc, and nobody noticed it. Later, LGP added support for Penguinplay, which allowed you to compete with other users.

We probably never find out how well it was selling among Linux users, but they treated it seriously. LGP was regularly publishing patches for Candy Cruncher, until 2010 when they started to have difficulties.

My expectations weren't huge when I bought it. However, I quickly realized it was a very addictive game. Every time I tried to move rows and columns of candies quicker to beat the clock. A few times, I had to remove it from my computer. It was easy to start playing and lose track of time. It's a simple game without a complex plot like Runes of Avalon to have fun with it.

In 2004, LGP published the box version of NingPo MahJong, which was too exclusively available only for Linux. LGP released only one patch for it and the new installer.

I rarely play it, so I don’t even try to describe NingPo MahJong.
It's hard to compare it to similar games for Linux like MahJong (Absolutist) or Mahjong Epic (Kristanix Games). These two mentioned games are not available for Linux for sale anymore. I think it was ok and one of the commercial games available for Linux PowerPC. Maybe you can say more about it.

I think LGP didn't promote games for Linux PowerPC among Mac, Amiga, and Playstation2 users. It was just a lost opportunity. I can imagine a situation where Amiga users could buy more copies of a specific game than Linux users in 2003.

Below you can see pictures of Candy Cruncher and NingPo MahJong for Linux.

https://ibb.co/JCVr6mV

Did you play Candy Cruncher and NingPo MahJong on Linux?

What do you think about these two games?

Did you buy Candy Cruncher and NingPo MahJong for Linux?

Would you buy Candy Cruncher and NingPo MahJong for Linux if it was available on Steam or GOG?

Last edited by gbudny on 7 September 2021 at 5:35 pm UTC
damarrin Sep 7, 2021
“Few” means not enough. You want to say “a few” a couple of times in your essay.

Interesting story btw.
damarrin Sep 7, 2021
Also, I bought Hyperspace Delivery Boy from LGP as they were winding down. I tried the demo and liked it a lot. I never got it.
gbudny Sep 7, 2021
Quoting: damarrin“Few” means not enough. You want to say “a few” a couple of times in your essay.

Interesting story btw.

Thanks.

I corrected this mistake.

I probably add few more details, but I don't know if other users enjoyed reading it.

Quoting: damarrinAlso, I bought Hyperspace Delivery Boy from LGP as they were winding down. I tried the demo and liked it a lot. I never got it.

This game deserves another post in the future.

Last edited by gbudny on 7 September 2021 at 5:28 pm UTC
PublicNuisance Sep 8, 2021
I wasn't a Linux gamer back then but looking up what the games were I doubt I would have played them, not my genre of interest.
damarrin Sep 8, 2021
Yeah, games for ultra nerds, not normal people. Kind of like Linux itself was, and still is, perceived.
gbudny Sep 8, 2021
Quoting: PublicNuisanceI wasn't a Linux gamer back then but looking up what the games were I doubt I would have played them, not my genre of interest.

There were some famous commercial games for Linux, and there were many indie games before 2012. Sometimes, I played in addictive Candy Cruncher, and later, having fun with Cold war on Linux. There were many others games that still you can buy, and many disappeared.

The terrifying fact is that Linux users weren't interested in buying games for Linux before Steam. There was a small group of enthusiasts that were purchasing games for this operating system. In this case, we don't have anything like GOG for Linux where users could buy Sin, Ore Explorer, Heroes 3, and so on.

Linux is the operating system with games published since 1994, and many users don't know most of the classic games for it. It is so weird. You won't have this situation if you think about Mac or Windows users. They care about the availability of classic games for their operating system.

Last edited by gbudny on 8 September 2021 at 8:34 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.