Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Metro Exodus Freezes When Editing Graphics Options
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
PublicNuisance Sep 10, 2021
For me any time I try to adjust any in game graphics options and then hit the "esc" key to go back the game freezes and I have to choose to force quit the app in order to exit it. This happens on two of my systems. I have emailed support. This is the log I have of when I tried to switch motion blur to low for example. Exact same log text for both systems.

"ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/matthew/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/matthew/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
[S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): Loaded '/home/matthew/.local/share/Steam/linux64/steamclient.so' OK.
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 412020
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561197963356396 [API loaded no]
Fossilize INFO: Overriding serialization path: "/home/matthew/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/412020/fozpipelinesv5/steamapprun_pipeline_cache"."

My Systems:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X | 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15 | MSI RX 580 8GB Gaming X | Mesa 21.2.1 | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB | Manjaro 21.1.2 | Mate 1.26.0 | Kernel 5.14.0-0-MANJARO

Intel i7-4770 | 16GB DDR3-2133 CL9 | MSI RX 580 8GB Gaming X | Mesa 21.2.1 | Intel 330 SSD 120 GB| Manjaro 21.1.2 | Mate 1.26.0 | Kernel 5.14.0-0-MANJARO
Liam Dawe Sep 11, 2021
Have you checked to see if there's any open Mesa bugs for it?
ripper81358 Sep 11, 2021
You could try the following:

1. Check if vulkanshader processing is active in the steam settings. If it is turned on let steam process all the shaders before starting the game. Otherwise you could also try the game with shaderprocessing turned off.

2. Disable the steamoverlay for the game and see if that makes a difference.

3. Avoid running the game with mangohud or other overlays enabled.

If you change the quality settings it is normal that the game becomes unresponsive for a while. The game should show a progressdialog while it is compiling the vulkanshaders. This can take quiet some time.
PublicNuisance Sep 11, 2021
Quoting: Liam DaweHave you checked to see if there's any open Mesa bugs for it?

Just checked and I saw none that matched this.

Quoting: ripper81358You could try the following:

1. Check if vulkanshader processing is active in the steam settings. If it is turned on let steam process all the shaders before starting the game. Otherwise you could also try the game with shaderprocessing turned off.

2. Disable the steamoverlay for the game and see if that makes a difference.

3. Avoid running the game with mangohud or other overlays enabled.

If you change the quality settings it is normal that the game becomes unresponsive for a while. The game should show a progressdialog while it is compiling the vulkanshaders. This can take quiet some time.

I have tried deleting the vulkan shader folder and running the game without it as well as redownloading it but the issue remains. I have tried running without MangoHud as well but that didn't solve it. I turned off Steam Overlay but this didn't solve it. This is not normal for the hundreds of other games I own and there is no progress bar on the screen.
PublicNuisance Sep 12, 2021
So some people on the Steam forums say I should let the game sit there for about 90 minutes to let shaders compile because that's how long it took for them. Here is one main issue here. To be eligible for a refund I have to have played less than 2 hours. I had already messed around for 38 minutes trying to get this to work. If I let it go for 90 minutes more and it doesn't work then I can't get a refund. Furthermore why doesn't this issue happen when running the game through Proton ? I tried that and had no issues switching graphics settings and running the game. Literally took 2-3 seconds to apply graphics settings, not 90 minutes. I may refund the game anyway because Koch Media finally got back to me about support for my issue and their response was:

"I understand that you are experiencing issues with Metro Exodus on PC (Linux) and I'm going to do my best to help you resolve this issue.

Make sure you are using Ubuntu to run the game properly:
https://ubuntu.com/

https://www.metrothegame.com/pcspecs/

Don't hesitate to get back to us if you need more help."

Any company whose default response is that doesn't deserve my money. No attempt at troubleshooting at all.
whizse Sep 12, 2021
Quoting: PublicNuisanceSo some people on the Steam forums say I should let the game sit there for about 90 minutes to let shaders compile because that's how long it took for them.
Just for radv or on all drivers? If so, that's just crazy!

I don't know how much you want to fiddle with it, but it would be fun to run something like sysprof or dump the shaders and see if it is actually still compiling or just spinning somewhere...

...or just cut your losses and play it with Proton.
PublicNuisance Sep 13, 2021
Quoting: whizse
Quoting: PublicNuisanceSo some people on the Steam forums say I should let the game sit there for about 90 minutes to let shaders compile because that's how long it took for them.
Just for radv or on all drivers? If so, that's just crazy!

I don't know how much you want to fiddle with it, but it would be fun to run something like sysprof or dump the shaders and see if it is actually still compiling or just spinning somewhere...

...or just cut your losses and play it with Proton.

I have no idea, they didn't say. What is crazy to me is these people on the Steam forum acting like this would be a normal occurence and common. I own over a thousand games and finished over 500 of them. Not once in 23 years of PC gaming have I had to wait 90 minutes to compile shaders.I am deciding between playing with Proton or just refunding it. I am really unhappy with the quality of the support from Deep Silver/Koch Media to the point I almost want to refund it on principle.
Swanny Sep 13, 2021
It occurs for both Nvidia and AMD on both Windows and Linux. Presumably the time taken depends on your CPU horsepower (though it took about 30 minutes and I run a marginally slower Ryzen 2600 than your 2600X). And then you've got 30 seconds to confirm keeping the settings otherwise it reverts. So stay at your computer!

(And you need to temporarily switch down to medium detail level on the Caspian Sea level to prevent frequent crashes, again on all platforms...)
PublicNuisance Sep 13, 2021
Quoting: SwannyIt occurs for both Nvidia and AMD on both Windows and Linux. Presumably the time taken depends on your CPU horsepower (though it took about 30 minutes and I run a marginally slower Ryzen 2600 than your 2600X). And then you've got 30 seconds to confirm keeping the settings otherwise it reverts. So stay at your computer!

(And you need to temporarily switch down to medium detail level on the Caspian Sea level to prevent frequent crashes, again on all platforms...)

I ended up just asking for a refund. I had given the game 35 minutes yesterday just sitting there at my desk, ironically reading Metro 2033 while I waited, and it still was frozen. This is shoddy work from 4A games and not worth my money.
whizse Sep 13, 2021
Quoting: SwannyIt occurs for both Nvidia and AMD on both Windows and Linux. Presumably the time taken depends on your CPU horsepower (though it took about 30 minutes and I run a marginally slower Ryzen 2600 than your 2600X). And then you've got 30 seconds to confirm keeping the settings otherwise it reverts. So stay at your computer!

I can't help but feel proud of the sort of person who spends 30 minutes waiting for a seemingly frozen game to load. I do not have that sort of patience or optimism!
Swanny Sep 13, 2021
Well, it does show you a percentage progress counter and only happens when you change detail levels (not at every start). Still, it is ridiculously slow.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.