You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
What game do you truly regret buying?
Page: «4/5»
  Go to:
Raaben Jun 12, 2023
I have a few, but from recent playing, FF13. I bought it ages ago and quit barely an hour or two in several times, but finally made a regrettable decision to see it through as I try and play through the series. I powered through on pure spite and finished it just the other day. In my eyes it's at least as bad as everyone says if not even worse. I still feel exhausted and angry from it, but at least now I have that drive space back. I got it for probably like $10 way back when and that's still be far more than its worth. I can never have those 40 hours back.

As a full price game/day one buy - Amnesia: Rebirth. Glitchy and actually unplayable on release (on Nvidia at least), I hated the story and alien settings, hated that you could never fail and would actually be moved forward on "death" and could essentially hold W to beat the game. You saw the monster(s) so often and clearly that they became annoying rather than scary. The only part I liked and felt like a proper Frictional title was the fort near the beginning. That whole bit was great and had the only real scare for me the entire game.
dpanter Jun 12, 2023
DOOM Eternal Deluxe Edition (Pre-Purchase) for 90 gargleblasted euro monies, and I can't stand the game. Didn't even finish it, completely disgusted. And I loved Doom 2016.
At least I got Doom 64 for "free"...
MeltedLiquid Jun 13, 2023
Quoting: JetriArtifact

100000% this. I was so upset being a huge Mtg and dota 2 fanboy. My expectations couldn't be any higher. To say it broke me is an understatement.
g000h Jun 13, 2023
I don't regret buying it, but I'm sad about it losing Linux Support: RUST

I played it for a couple of years, and accumulated about 2000 hours of Linux gaming on that title. It was practically my favourite game, certainly the one I was most addicted to.

Then the great Facepunch recoding and dropping the native Linux client. Proton came along and I expected we'd be able to play the Easy-Anti-Cheat title using that, but no.

Then SteamDeck came along and Facepunch said "we'll be supporting RUST on SteamDeck in a few months". That was about a year ago.

In the meantime, when I've felt the urge for a game, I go onto GeForce Now and play for 1 hour on their free try-out. You can play games inside a browser window, streaming the play-window from Nvidia's cloud servers. It's not good though - Too much latency to play properly.

One day, one day! Still, it has allowed me to concentrate on other games instead.
JumpArtifact Jun 14, 2023
EverOasis on 3ds. Bought at full retail price (I think). After 20 minutes in, game would consistently crash at the same point making progression impossible (it appeared to be still part of the "tutorial" stuff of the game). And I was looking forward to developing the "village building" aspect of it too... (You start making an Oasis "village" in a desert, guided by a water spirit thing.)

Well, the time of the 3ds has passed, but I still feel badly about this purchase.
Talon1024 Jul 4, 2023
Quoting: dpanterDOOM Eternal Deluxe Edition (Pre-Purchase) for 90 gargleblasted euro monies, and I can't stand the game. Didn't even finish it, completely disgusted. And I loved Doom 2016.
At least I got Doom 64 for "free"...

This may be of interest to you, then. It's a total conversion that makes Doom 64 work on GZDoom.

As for a game I regret buying... Eterium. I didn't get very far in it when I originally bought it, and I can't play it any more because the last time I tried it, it didn't work on Proton due to using C# and XNA.
Pengling Jul 4, 2023
Quoting: Talon1024As for a game I regret buying... Eterium. I didn't get very far in it when I originally bought it, and I can't play it any more because the last time I tried it, it didn't work on Proton due to using C# and XNA.
It's times like this that I always end up reading C# as "See Hash" - as in, "They made a right hash of that!".
Grogan Jul 4, 2023
Quoting: penglingIt's times like this that I always end up reading C# as "See Hash" - as in, "They made a right hash of that!".

I've not heard that one "made a right hash of it". I have a lot of UK vernacular in my speech because I've always hung out with people from there throughout my life, but there's always more :-)

I still think of #whatever as the name of an IRC channel, it took me a while to get that it was usurped by twitter. I thought "oh, how nice, these people have an IRC channel" lol

(and you better be careful what you say in Canada, if we "see hash" it won't be long before the situation is inflamed)

Last edited by Grogan on 4 July 2023 at 7:08 pm UTC
whizse Jul 4, 2023
Carmageddon: Reincarnation

Worst. Dev. Ever.

#stillsalty

Last edited by whizse on 4 July 2023 at 8:31 pm UTC
Pengling Jul 5, 2023
Quoting: GroganI've not heard that one "made a right hash of it". I have a lot of UK vernacular in my speech because I've always hung out with people from there throughout my life, but there's always more :-)
Well, you know it now! We do have some fun phrases. (For those out there who can't be arsed to look it up: "They made a hash of it." just means "They messed it up.". )

Quoting: GroganI still think of #whatever as the name of an IRC channel, it took me a while to get that it was usurped by twitter. I thought "oh, how nice, these people have an IRC channel" lol
I remember feeling similarly - more specifically, that it had the potential to cause confusion somewhere along the line!

Just imagine, there's a whole generation who only know that as a "hashtag". It reminds me of how youngsters these days don't know what a floppy-disk is, and know it only as "the save icon"...

Quoting: Grogan(and you better be careful what you say in Canada, if we "see hash" it won't be long before the situation is inflamed)
Ah, language-barriers, always a disaster!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.