Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Running an advert experiment
Page: «5/9»
  Go to:
m2mg2 Jan 13
These ads are hot garbage. These are the kind of ads you see on phishing, malware type sites.

Liam Dawe Jan 14
For people reporting problematic adverts: I'll need the URL it leads to or the website name, so try and grab the link somehow so I can block it in adsense. Only so much I can do with a screenshot if it's not obvious where it leads to.

Again: if people need to use adblockers, go for it. You can also support via patreon, to ensure you never ever see an advert or sponsor and help fund a website you read regularly if you're able to do so.

Adverts for logged-out users are staying, they will not be removed, I need the funding. Plain and simple. And eventually they will be for all non-Patreon supporters. The adverts can be tweaked, and ridiculous adverts can be stopped if properly reported. I did say clearly in the OP I would be tweaking stuff.

Edit: I've been trying to restrict the size of those between the articles without luck, adsense kept overwriting my max-size and height css. So I've swapped them for a different type, which is much smaller. Should make it much nicer overall!

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 14 January 2024 at 11:53 am UTC
Soltrumman Jan 14
I get the need for ads but I'm not a fan of the bottom ad that needs to be actively hidden to get a good experience browsing the site, it's in the way and obstructive. The ads on the side and between articles are fine as ads go, they don't block content in the same way.

I think removing the ones on the bottom of the page would make it feel a lot less ad infested, feels a bit to much with them.
Tevren Jan 14
I checked the ads on mobile while logged out and at least on mobile it's not too bad. Ads are about the size of a content block, which is pretty standard and I didn't see any inappropriate ads, which is great.

The only ad that was a bit annoying is the one attached to the bottom of your screen. Yeah, it can be minimized, but it takes up permanent screen real estate.
Liam Dawe Jan 14
Quoting: TevrenThe only ad that was a bit annoying is the one attached to the bottom of your screen. Yeah, it can be minimized, but it takes up permanent screen real estate.
That one I agree and should now be disabled.
Liam Dawe Jan 14
Keep it clean and argument free in here please. Comments that look like they will cause arguments, or comments just overly complaining without providing any useful feedback will just be removed. Please keep this very specific to the adverts and read the OP.
m2mg2 Jan 14
Looks like the ads are square and the content blocks are square, which means one ad would have to be the same size as the content. An alternative could be to cut the height in half, make it a rectangle and stuff two ads in it. That would maintain the square shape of the ad and reduce the size. Not sure if that's doable with the code of the site and the way the add stuff works. Personally I'm not bothered as much by the bottom ad as it doesn't interfere with the content as much and it can actually be hidden. I'd be happier with only the side and bottom ads, leave the content for content.

Quoting: Liam DaweFor people reporting problematic adverts: I'll need the URL it leads to or the website name, so try and grab the link somehow so I can block it in adsense. Only so much I can do with a screenshot if it's not obvious where it leads to.

Again: if people need to use adblockers, go for it. You can also support via patreon, to ensure you never ever see an advert or sponsor and help fund a website you read regularly if you're able to do so.

Adverts for logged-out users are staying, they will not be removed, I need the funding. Plain and simple. And eventually they will be for all non-Patreon supporters. The adverts can be tweaked, and ridiculous adverts can be stopped if properly reported. I did say clearly in the OP I would be tweaking stuff.

Edit: I've been trying to restrict the size of those between the articles without luck, adsense kept overwriting my max-size and height css. So I've swapped them for a different type, which is much smaller. Should make it much nicer overall!

Last edited by m2mg2 on 14 January 2024 at 6:26 pm UTC
m2mg2 Jan 14
I guess the content blocks are different sizes on desktop and mobile. The ads on both for me are still the same size as the content blocks.

It may be that adsense tries to force ads to be the same size as the content for the same reason I don't like it.

Quoting: Liam DaweFor people reporting problematic adverts: I'll need the URL it leads to or the website name, so try and grab the link somehow so I can block it in adsense. Only so much I can do with a screenshot if it's not obvious where it leads to.

Last edited by m2mg2 on 14 January 2024 at 6:35 pm UTC
Liam Dawe Jan 14
The current size is much smaller than it was earlier today, and personally I am happy with them now so they will be sticking for the rest of the month. Any smaller and they become a bit pointless for the test, and they need to run a while to see how they do before changing to any other format.
m2mg2 Jan 14
The non mobile ads are smaller because the content is smaller. But it is still better as now it looks like total ad space can only hit around 30ish percent of the screen as opposed to 80-90 percent. That is a big improvement.

It's still about 50 percent screen space can occupied by ads on mobile, at least that's what I'm seeing.

Quoting: Liam DaweThe current size is much smaller than it was earlier today, and personally I am happy with them now so they will be sticking for the rest of the month. Any smaller and they become a bit pointless for the test, and they need to run a while to see how they do before changing to any other format.

Last edited by m2mg2 on 14 January 2024 at 6:48 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.