Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Running an advert experiment
Page: «6/9»
  Go to:
Quoting: emphyBlocking all those ads, but I've now added the gol's gog affiliate link in firefox and set it so that if I enter gog in the address bar it'll use that link by default.

As I understand such things, that should give a tidy contribution.

Firefox user and idiot here, how does one do this?
Would love to do that for Humble and Fanatical in particular. I always change humble to split most of the money between GOL and the charity, though have occasionally forgotten to use the affiliate links to do so.
Pengling Jan 15
Quoting: TurkeysteaksFirefox user and idiot here, how does one do this?
Would love to do that for Humble and Fanatical in particular. I always change humble to split most of the money between GOL and the charity, though have occasionally forgotten to use the affiliate links to do so.
I just bookmarked the links as found on the "Support Us" page, myself.
emphy Jan 16
Quoting: Turkeysteaks
Quoting: emphyBlocking all those ads, but I've now added the gol's gog affiliate link in firefox and set it so that if I enter gog in the address bar it'll use that link by default.

As I understand such things, that should give a tidy contribution.

Firefox user and idiot here, how does one do this?

First, one bookmarks the affiliate link from the Support us page.

Then, in bookmarks -> manage bookmarks

search for the just-created bookmark, set keyword of said bookmark to, for example, gog. From then on, if you enter gog in the address bar, it'll go to the affiliate link. Take care that if you type gog.com it'll go to the plain website without affiliate code.

Last edited by emphy on 16 January 2024 at 8:56 am UTC
Liam Dawe Jan 16
Just added "Religion" to the entire category ban list on adverts, likely one of the biggest ones to have bad adverts in. Also added some padding to some of them at the bottom so they don't sit directly on top of content.
Liam Dawe Jan 26
As an update on this: it will continue only for logged out users during February. I am aiming for March for all non-Patreon supporters. As I want a full month of seeing how the current positioning of the ad units does as they were tweaked so often during this month it’s difficult to gauge how they will do - so another month extra to keep an eye on it before the full rollout.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 26 January 2024 at 8:30 pm UTC
The ads seem better overall now, in my opinion. I finally also found out how to enable them in my primary browser. Turns out, instead of just disabling ublock for the site, I also have to disable librewolf's (firefox) tracking protection feature.

Anyway, once enabled, it should certainly aid in me in becoming Mr. Muscles, like a proper nerd. Oh yeah!

Although, it's fashion choices are questionable at best.

(Thought I'd share, because I found that particular ad quite amusing.)
Pengling Feb 6
Quoting: BlackBloodRumAlthough, it's fashion choices are questionable at best.

And how are you meant to wear those jackets after getting all those muscles, anyway?
Quoting: Liam DaweAs an update on this: it will continue only for logged out users during February. I am aiming for March for all non-Patreon supporters. As I want a full month of seeing how the current positioning of the ad units does as they were tweaked so often during this month it’s difficult to gauge how they will do - so another month extra to keep an eye on it before the full rollout.

I visited the web today from a work computer (macOS and Chrome browser), not being logged in and without any adblockers, etc and in the places where the adverts would be, only one would show, and in the other spaces only a blank space leaving a weird spacing between the articles.

Not sure if a bug, but wanted to flag :)

Last edited by Arehandoro on 7 February 2024 at 5:38 pm UTC
Quoting: Pengling

And how are you meant to wear those jackets after getting all those muscles, anyway?
Brute force fixes everything.
The extra muscles will be useful for it.
Quoting: LoudTechie
Quoting: Pengling

Brute force fixes everything.
The extra muscles will be useful for it.

You might bruteforce your way into them, but then how do you get back out?

PS: I'm totally sticking a "kick me sign" on your back, between your shoulders when you nerds become Mr. Muscles, you won't be able to reach it to get it off
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.