Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Cyberpunk 2077 in Wine
Page: 1/30»
  Go to:
Pangaea Jan 17, 2020
Not a Linux release, sadly, but with DXVK working so well we probably all assume it will eventually run well on Linux too. The game's release has been pushed back from April to September. I'm not very surprised about that, and it doesn't matter to me really. Won't buy it right away anyway, because I want to see it actually working well on Linux first, and by experience it's best to wait a little bit until early bugs are patched out.

It's a good decision in my view. Better to release a game (especially one as "big" for the studio as this) in a more polished state than risking a terrible launch with loads of negative press due to game crashes and serious bugs. Assuming it does release in September, perhaps we penguins will be able to enjoy it before the holidays.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 5 January 2021 at 8:20 pm UTC
Ehvis Jan 17, 2020
They did the same thing for TW3. Which, after 32 updates, still has quite a few bugs.

You might not even need dxvk. Considering that they will launch on Stadia as well, they may simply have an option for a Vulkan renderer.
Pangaea Jan 17, 2020
I won't touch stadia with a 1000 foot pole, so will have to rely on dxvk, since this game won't have a native Linux release.
LordDaveTheKind Jan 17, 2020
Quoting: Pangaeawill have to rely on dxvk, since this game won't have a native Linux release.

We are still talking about a game with a huge fanbase. There will surely be lots of effort and interest in the Linux users communities for making sure the game will work with DXVK, as it has been for The Witcher 3. For instance the thread of The Witcher 3 in Wine on this forum has reached 148 pages.

Last edited by LordDaveTheKind on 17 January 2020 at 2:03 pm UTC
Liam Dawe Jan 17, 2020
Quoting: PangaeaI won't touch stadia with a 1000 foot pole, so will have to rely on dxvk, since this game won't have a native Linux release.
I think you missed their point. The point is that it will be on Stadia, which requires Vulkan, so the Windows release may have a Vulkan renderer in it meaning it bypasses DXVK for near-native performance. That's what we can hope for more often with more developers doing Stadia, that they at least leave Vulkan in their Windows release for when we use Steam Play Proton.

Then eventually: supported Linux desktop releases...
Shmerl Dec 6, 2020
Expected release date: December 10, 2020.

Detailed system requirements (for Windows, so I assume for Linux in Wine you'd need to bump them a bit):

Looks like they only focus on resolution, not on expected framerate in the specs.

Last edited by Shmerl on 6 December 2020 at 8:17 pm UTC
Avehicle7887 Dec 6, 2020
Quoting: Shmerl(for Windows, so I assume for Linux in Wine you'd need to bump them a bit)

Considering the state of VKD3D (proton branch), the performance difference might be a big hit, stability is another concern.

Here's hoping that thanks to Stadia, enabling Vulkan in the Windows build will be an easy switch.
Shmerl Dec 6, 2020
Quoting: Avehicle7887Considering the state of VKD3D (proton branch), the performance difference might be a big hit, stability is another concern.

Here's hoping that thanks to Stadia, enabling Vulkan in the Windows build will be an easy switch.

I expect things to break fairly often with updates to the game which will be frequent until they'll finish with all the major expansions and bug fixes. But supposedly vkd3d-proton performs well for AMD so I'd be interested in testing it once I get a new AMD card.

Getting Vulkan renderer for the Wine use case because of the Stadia version would be good, but developers didn't comment on such possibility so far.

Last edited by Shmerl on 6 December 2020 at 9:53 pm UTC
Segata Sanshiro Dec 7, 2020
What do you think the chances are of this working with DX12 through Proton GE on day 1?
Shmerl Dec 7, 2020
Quoting: Segata SanshiroWhat do you think the chances are of this working with DX12 through Proton GE on day 1?

It might not work, and vkd3d-proton developers will be focused on it since it's a high profile release.
Segata Sanshiro Dec 7, 2020
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: Segata SanshiroWhat do you think the chances are of this working with DX12 through Proton GE on day 1?

It might not work, and vkd3d-proton developers will be focused on it since it's a high profile release.

Are there any DX12-only games which work well now? I know Death Stranding does, but I don't know of any others. I guess that would improve the chances.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.