Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Alternative to Stadia
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
dubigrasu Jun 23, 2020
Somewhere buried on their pages there was a statement saying that they're planning to rent Linux machines too. So basically a full Linux chain.
But that is something I've read a while back, no idea if they're still working at it or just gave up or something else.

Last edited by dubigrasu on 23 June 2020 at 1:57 pm UTC
damarrin Jun 23, 2020
There's basically no-one outside of Google or Valve with the interest and means to make a streaming platform that's based on Linux. If any such platform were to succeed, especially when it advertises full Steam, GOG, etc compatibility, it must be running on Windows. So I'm really surprised all those "is it running on Linux" questions were even there.

The Linux client, however, if it works and is well supported, is something that sets this service apart.
Shmerl Jun 23, 2020
There is no such thing as "it must be running on Windows". Stadia doesn't. If Valve are to launch anything, I doubt they'll use Windows either.

I'm surprised Stadia itself is not an example enough to demonstrate it. All those "let's use Windows" services are just cheapskates who caved in to paying Windows tax and don't want to do any serious work.

Last edited by Shmerl on 23 June 2020 at 5:58 pm UTC
damarrin Jun 23, 2020
Stadia doesn't advertise running all the games you own from various stores. What's the point you're trying to make?
damarrin Jun 23, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlAll those "let's use Windows" services are just cheapskates who caved in to paying Windows tax and don't want to do any serious work.

Wow.
Shmerl Jun 23, 2020
You don't need to advertise "running all games". And if they used Wine they could advertise running a lot more anyway. Valve is quite likely to do that.
Shmerl Jun 23, 2020
I see them as cheapskates, since it's a lot easier to take Windows and run it, instead of making Windows games work on Linux like Valve did.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.