You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Aquanox Deep Descent is out. Native version a possibility?
Page: 1/4»
  Go to:
Shmerl Oct 18, 2020
Aquanox Deep Descent looks quite good: https://www.gog.com/game/aquanox_deep_descent

I asked developers about Linux release during their crowdfunding. They said it's a possibility but can't say for sure.

QuoteAs we are in early stages with the project and our evaluation of UE4 we will not be able to confirm Linux 100% for sure within the campaign. It's very very likely from what we've seen so far (and given that our lead designer is a big Linux fan), but we don't want to promise something before we can be 100 % sure.
Avehicle7887 Oct 18, 2020
Maybe it's just my bad experience with the engine, but UE4 + Linux tends to spell disaster. Given the rise of Stadia I would expect the devs to have at least fixed the Vulkan performance issues by this point.

The OpenGL renderer at least seemed to work good, Everspace performs quite well natively on low end hardware.
Shmerl Oct 18, 2020
Yeah, I suspect Google could have contributed some fixes to UE. But they might be not out until UE5.
Julius Oct 20, 2020
Yeah, I also kickstartered this back then, because it was the time when it looked very likely that a Linux port would come. 5 years later, not so much.

Haven't got around trying it with Proton as I am away from my main gaming PC. Anyone had luck with that?

But I also hope it will be successful enough that they will consider adding VR. Seems like such a natural fit for it.
Shmerl Oct 21, 2020
I also wonder if anyone tried it in Wine. I'll wait for some reports. I like Aquanox 2, so I was looking forward to this release.

Last edited by Shmerl on 21 October 2020 at 5:08 am UTC
Xpander Oct 21, 2020
Someone is playing it. Its in german though, but maybe ask him in comments about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdJMQEXq470
Julius Oct 21, 2020
Oh nice. He is saying that except for some video playback (that can be fixed with some media foundation tweaks) the game runs great with Proton.
PublicNuisance Oct 22, 2020
Quoting: Avehicle7887Maybe it's just my bad experience with the engine, but UE4 + Linux tends to spell disaster. Given the rise of Stadia I would expect the devs to have at least fixed the Vulkan performance issues by this point.

The OpenGL renderer at least seemed to work good, Everspace performs quite well natively on low end hardware.

Yaakuro has a Patreon for fixing up UE4 on Linux if anyone wants to help him out.

https://www.patreon.com/ue4linux

Last edited by PublicNuisance on 22 October 2020 at 5:35 am UTC
Avehicle7887 Oct 22, 2020
Gave the game a quick test with Wine Staging 5.19 (which includes mfplat support out of the box).

Videos worked out of the box and performance is equally great, however for some reason the game is leaking memory like crazy. I increased the swap size to see how far it would go, ended up filling all of it and crashed eventually. Maybe it's my Wine build, haven't looked far into it though.

I will try with again later with an older Wine build and add the Microsoft mfplat dlls.

EDIT:

Clean prefix with Wine Staging 5.8, game is much more stable (no memory leak) but requires Microsoft mfplat workarounds for fmv's to work.

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 22 October 2020 at 10:33 am UTC
Avehicle7887 Oct 24, 2020
Good News!

Re-tested the game with the newest Wine Staging 5.20 release. The videos play out of the box and there's no memory leak as opposed to my previous 5.19 Staging test. One key difference I noticed is that the intro fmv doesn't get stuck like in 5.19 so maybe the memory leak had something to do with mfplat (maybe?).

Anyhow, the game ran fine for over an hour (esync enabled too), only overrides used are nvapi64 (set to disabled) and the usual dxgi + d3d11 to enable dxvk.
Shmerl Oct 24, 2020
Quoting: Avehicle7887Anyhow, the game ran fine for over an hour (esync enabled too), only overrides used are nvapi64 (set to disabled) and the usual dxgi + d3d11 to enable dxvk.

Wait, esync is back in wine-staging? They dropped the patches a while ago, due to on-going refactoring.

UPDATE:

I checked, staging indeed re-enabled esync patches in 5.20.

Last edited by Shmerl on 25 October 2020 at 7:05 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.