Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Logitech F710 controller not pairing?
Julius Jul 2, 2021
So I happened to come across a super cheap Logitech F710 controller that seems to be in perfect working order... except that it refuses to pair with the wireless dongle.

I tried with three different Linux machines (Manjaro and Ubuntu based) and the dongle does show up in Steam as a "Xbox 360 controller", but I absolutely can't seem to get the controller to pair with it?

Is there any trick to it?

I know that people here said they are using the F710 with Linux...

P.s.: My old F310 usb cable version works fine on the same machines.

Last edited by Julius on 2 July 2021 at 6:46 pm UTC
Julius Jul 2, 2021
Sorry if that wasn't clear... I am using the official Logitech nano-reciever that came with the controller.

Edit: the internet is full of people complaining about a seemingly similar issue on Windows10, which makes me suspect this isn't a hardware issue, but some driver or maybe firmware oddity.

Last edited by Julius on 2 July 2021 at 7:26 pm UTC
Julius Jul 2, 2021
hmm, Gentoo. Hard to say that it isn't just some customization you did. Did you ever install xboxdrv or something like that?
Julius Jul 3, 2021
I found this thread which sounds exactly like my problem: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=220728

And it says:
QuoteFor the Logitech, the trouble was just about the order of when to put in the batteries *after* having plugged in the receiver.
We discovered this point with the Logitech utility which is much explicit.
Also, the device doesn't have any on/off switch... so it feels a bit wrong.

But that isn't very verbose... I tried a few ways of putting batteries in and out... but to no effect. I feel like I am missing something small that is just stupid :(
whizse Jul 3, 2021
Is it using the same Logitech dongle as their keyboard and mice? If so you should be able to use Solaar to pair/unpair it.

(I don't think it should be necessary if it's brand new. But if you bought it used maybe the seller sent the wrong receiver?)
Mezron Jul 4, 2021
Damn. My just work on Ubuntu Mate 20.04. I don't ever remember having an issue with it. Is there a command that I can run to help you compare the connections and dependencies to assist ya?
Julius Jul 4, 2021
The dongle seems to be fully recognized Linux side, the problem is really somehow with the pairing. I am starting to suspect it might be a faulty unit :(

I just tried it with an Android TV box and there it also doesn't work. I don't have a Windows machine at hand, so I can't check it on Windows.

Last edited by Julius on 4 July 2021 at 1:39 am UTC
dpanter Jul 11, 2021
The dongle is soft locked to the corresponding gamepad and should never need pairing again. However, there is a way to unlock it and force new pairing with their (Windows only) tool Wireless Gamepad F710 Connect Utility.

See the Logitech F710 FAQ for details.
Never needed to use this myself so good luck!
Julius Jul 11, 2021
Yeah I tried that already, but it doesn't seem to have any effect with running in WINE and I literally don't have access to any Windows PC right now.
dpanter Jul 12, 2021
Probably need a VM with USB passthrough then.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.