You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Using KDE Plasma Wayland session
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
Shmerl Nov 11, 2021
Tried switching to the Wayland session in Plasma 5.23.3 but it started hanging after monitor went to sleep. Back to X11 for now, but I guess it's worth digging into. Did anyone experience the same thing?

Last edited by Shmerl on 11 November 2021 at 6:09 am UTC
Shmerl Nov 11, 2021
What is your Mesa version (and amdgpu/kernel)? One of the downsides is that KWin is stuck with OpenGL / EGL. They should switch to Vulkan eventually.

Last edited by Shmerl on 11 November 2021 at 10:13 pm UTC
denyasis Nov 11, 2021
Quoting: ShmerlDid anyone experience the same thing?

Yep! Just last week tried it. Same thing happens if you turn the monitor off.

Just got a black screen when I turned the monitor back on. I presumed a hang, as by the time it occurred to me to type out terminal commands to force a reboot, I'd already hit enough buttons on the keyboard I couldn't be sure what state the terminal was in to log in and issue commands blind.

Went back to X11. I'm pretty sure I've the same Plasma version over here in openSuse land. Honestly thought it was an OpenSuse/Nvidia thing as the implementation is a little rougher than in Debian.
Shmerl Nov 11, 2021
Quoting: denyasis

We should probably file a bug for it, if there isn't one already. I just want to see what's in dmesg when that happens.
denyasis Nov 11, 2021
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: denyasis

We should probably file a bug for it, if there isn't one already. I just want to see what's in dmesg when that happens.

That's a good idea! I'll see if I can try tonight and grab some log output.
Koopacabras Nov 12, 2021
For me plasmashell crashes a lot with Wayland, don't know if it is a problem of some app I'm using.
pete910 Nov 12, 2021
Don't have that issue though I'm on plasma 5.22.5 TBF wayland has been alot better thatn I thought it would be.

Only issue I have with wayland is the copy past bug thing !

It's what makes me default to X11 when not gaming .
Shmerl Nov 13, 2021
Quoting: pete910Only issue I have with wayland is the copy past bug thing !

They fixed it in later versions.
pete910 Nov 14, 2021
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: pete910Only issue I have with wayland is the copy past bug thing !

They fixed it in later versions.

That's good to know !
dr_jekyll Nov 15, 2021
I occasionally try Wayland with KDE. But mostly the experience is not good.
No real effects, graphical artifacts, flickering, sometimes crashes and black screens.

I think that the KDE team still has of lot of work to do, until everything is as stable and beautiful as it is on X.
Vulphere Nov 18, 2021
Been using Plasma on Wayland since 5.18, it is improving... and Vulp using it as daily driver since 5.22.

For note, Vulp use a system with AMDGPU.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.