Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Using KDE Plasma Wayland session
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
denyasis Nov 21, 2021
So I got a day off and tried it again today.... I didn't get it to crash when I turned off the monitor.... It ran fine, even played Factorio on it for a little bit.

My system did do a kernel and Nvidia driver update this week... one been holding back on those, so maybe it was that? I don't recall seeing anything Wayland or plasma related, but there several hundred updates.
Shmerl Jan 6, 2022
Trying the Wayland session again now with Plasma 5.23.5. Things look better. That sleep / wake up display bug is gone. So I'll try to stick with it for now and see how it goes.
pete910 Jan 6, 2022
Quoting: ShmerlTrying the Wayland session again now with Plasma 5.23.5. Things look better. That sleep / wake up display bug is gone. So I'll try to stick with it for now and see how it goes.

See if Dying Light works for you in wayland please ? (If you have it)

I gave wayland another go last week but Dying light and a few others wouldn't play ball unless in X11
Shmerl Jan 6, 2022
Actually that display sleep bug is still there (just happens less frequently), so I'm going back to X11 again for now :(

I don't have Dying Light unfortunately. But I tested Cyberpunk 2077 and a few other games and they worked fine.

Ion Fury and Umineko were OK.

Last edited by Shmerl on 6 January 2022 at 5:00 pm UTC
pete910 Jan 7, 2022
Quoting: ShmerlBack on Wayland for now, since that resume issue is rare.

Changed your mind again then !
Shmerl Jan 7, 2022
Quoting: pete910
Quoting: ShmerlBack on Wayland for now, since that resume issue is rare.

Changed your mind again then !

Well, it still does happen. The easiest way to check it is to turn the monitor off. It messes up the session. So I'm waiting for 5.24 before switching proper.

I'm OK with inconveniences, but not with a bug that hangs the whole desktop :)

Last edited by Shmerl on 8 January 2022 at 11:36 pm UTC
BlackBloodRum Jan 9, 2022
That's interesting. The issue you are describing, is happening to me but with X11.

I recently purchased two new monitors (dual setup, matching pair) and when they are told to go to sleep by KDE they will do one of three things, which one happens is random:

1) Suspend, then immediately back on - displaying whatever was on the screen (fail to sleep)
2) Suspend, but then cannot wake.. need to login via ssh to get a response from the computer and reboot, executing dpms commands to wake them doesn't work.
3) Leaves backlight on, showing only a black screen. Can't further wake monitors, requires SSH to reboot system as above.

I've worked around it for now though by modifying the monitors power settings to allow switching on/off without notifying the computer (so xorg still thinks the monitor is connected and powered) and disabling sleep timeout in KDE. So I just switch them off manually before walking away from the computer.

(I tried with both power settings, same issue occurs for both)
CyborgZeta Jan 9, 2022
I've been using Plasma Wayland for several weeks now, and aside from a few quirks its been smooth sailing. Just my experience.

Last edited by CyborgZeta on 9 January 2022 at 2:45 pm UTC
Shmerl Feb 10, 2022
Unfortunately that monitor sleep hang bug is still present in 5.24. So X11 so far still.
Shmerl Jun 24, 2022
Debian testing finally shipped newer Qt fixing that very annoying bug mentioned above that was breaking KDE Wayland session. Switched to it now and it works smoothly so far :)

Debian sure is slow updating Qt.

Last edited by Shmerl on 24 June 2022 at 6:50 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.